I installed the v3 firmware for me E61 using the self-service updater. The hardest part of the update was getting the Windows machine to actually get back onto my wifi network after a reboot, would be great if they could use something like the Linux based 770 firmware updater for these things as well.
The UI feels a little less sluggish, but I certainly wouldn’t call it snappy. SMS sending feels just about the same. Hitting the record button on the side definitely doesn’t start recording right off though. YAY! That was a tremendous pain, cause you would accidentally start a recording, and when you go to delete it the app would say it was open (cause you’re in the recorder, duh). So you would have to exit out of the recorder, go searching for the gallery app so you could delete it, which of course you never use the gallery app cause the device has no camera.
I tried out the native email app, again. It just disconnects when I put it in the background, again. I started up my IMAP mailbox and put the phone in my pocket when I left my place. When I got to work and went to check on my messages the messenger app wasn’t up and I had to reconnect it to the mailbox. The same thing happened here at work as I was resetting my Putty options. The messenger app still gets an D overall. It works for some small set of stuff you would want to do. It does those things slowly. And generally doesn’t work for a large swath of practical use cases that should lie inline with the supposed enterprise focus of the device.
The Nokia Open Source browser seems to be pretty much the same version as before. I had heard that at some point the OS browser would start dealing with WML and passing a UA-Prof header like the Services browser, but that doesn’t seem to be the case yet:
mike@www:~$ nc -l -p 8080
GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: text/html, application/xhtml+xml, text/css, text/vnd.nokia.rs-tgd, */*, text/x-hdml, image/mng, image/x-mng, video/mng, video/x-mng, image/bmp, text/html
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, utf-8; q=0.7, *; q=0.7,*
Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61 UP.Link/18.104.22.168.0
Via: 1.1 alpmagr1fe09-dmz.mycingular.net
The wifi does seem to be a bit more responsive, but it’ll take some testing to be sure on that one. Sometimes connecting to a network would take forever with the old firmware, but this one has gone pretty quick so far. Granted, every test I’ve run so far I’ve been sitting about 3 feet away from the AP that I’m using, so some more extensive probing is required.
Hopefully it would spuriously reboot when it can’t connect either, that was always a real gem. “Yea, it’s got wifi on it! Check this out!” . . . reboot . . . “Sorry about that, here goes, must have just had the wifi driver in a bad state.” . . . reboot . . . “Yea, still some kinks to work out, but it really is a good phone. Seriously. Of course I’m not laughing, it really is a good phone. Yes I see the irony, I just don’t think it’s laugh worthy.”